RE: [RC] 30 Min Rule - heidi

Just want to underscore what Bruce has said here.  At most rides, we do CRIs at either 10 or 15 minutes post-ride on the Top Ten--and before we did CRIs we did just plain pulses at that time.  In my experience, even horses raced full-out tended to meet the ride criteria at that 10-minute or 15-minute check.  In the schema that I use to score recovery for BC, if a horse is not at 48 or lower by that 10-minute or 15-minute check, they begin to lose recovery points--and poor CRIs lower the score even further.  And yet, I have had FIT horses race in and still get full points for recovery on their BC scores.

So the point isn't to prevent the racing of fit horses that belong up front--horses that have any business racing will still recover just fine.  The point is to help prevent the racing of those horses that are NOT ready to race, and should not be racing.

Heidi

 First, the rationale is not to
stop racing horses near the end of the ride. Horses that are truly fit
enough to race to the finish line should also be able to recover. If
they can only race to the finish line as long as they are allowed an
inordinate amount of time to recover (60 minutes), they shouldn't be
racing that hard. In my mind, the right to race is earned through proper
preparation. I'm sure John Crandall could tell us a lot about exactly
how that is done. The rule is designed to ensure that all participating
horses are being ridden at a pace *throughout* the ride that they have
been conditioned for and can recover within what has become the world's
standard recovery time in an endurance ride and deemed fit to
continue--30 minutes.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=