[RC] The LBL Express-Land Between the Lakes - Hickory Ridge Arabians

Hello Everyone,

With about eight inches of snow on the ground in February we took a day off and visited the LBL(Land Between the Lakes) area in Kentucky.  While at LBL we took the tour around the grounds where Bison and Elk roam the countryside.
On this particular day it was easy to see the wildlife because the land managers put out hay for the Bison and Elk.  In one location we could almost reach out the window of the pickup and touch the Elk. Of course that is not advisable, so we stayed put in the truck. With it getting a bit colder up north the bald eagles have now moved into the area and are nesting in some locations.  When riding around on horseback, some of the trails take you right next to the lake which can be rewarding if you are into viewing wildlife.  Cranes, eagles, ducks, geese and seagulls make up the water based type birds you may see.Then inland there is the normal bird population for the Midwest. We have seen coyote's, fox, groundhogs, squirrels, and deer outside the refuge area while riding at LBL.

Besides the wildlife, riding LBL takes you over some of the very roads ridden by Quantrill and his gang.  On January 1, 1865 Quantrill, Frank James, Jim Younger and other gang members crossed the Mississippi 16 miles north of Memphis, TN.  Their movements took them north then across the Tennessee River.  In doing so,they traveled across the LBL Land area probably following the Buffalo Trace going north.  Eventually they crossed the Cumberland River taking them into the town of Canton, just on the east side of the river.  From there they moved through Cadiz and to other points east.

The entire area of LBL is rich in history and offers the history buff many opportunities for study and research.  As you ride the trails in LBL quite often you will pass the foundations of old homestead and family cemeteries.  Each has its own story to tell. Riding at the LBL is like riding in an open zoo. Lots of wildlife. Occasionally you will come across some huge trees left standing around old homestead, and of course with the huge stands of timber come birds, and other wildlife.

Great trails, a trail head with all the amenities one could ask for, friendly land managers, and plenty to do around LBL makes the site a one of a kind opportunity for endurance riders. Late April is a beautiful time of year at LBL.Come and join us for all of the fun and excitement at the LBL Express on April 26th, we have received a huge response. Look on the AERC website for a ride entry form, or contact Diane
at hikryrdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or  812-985-2151.

Diane and Jerry Fruth