WCVM 2 day ride story

First off I have to say that Klea and the other vet studants put on a
great GREAT ride. Anyone who missed it should wish they hadn't.
Dr. Trish Dowling always says she has the best job in the world working
with these students and she is right.
Gayle Ecker from Guelph Ontario came and rode the ride. No more research
for her she is going to be an endurance rider instead.:-D
 The ride camp was in a big hay field with lots of room. Big hot wire
pens for the horses. The weather couldn't have been better if it was
special ordered.
The 2 Theresa's were the ride vets. Sorry last names I have forgotten.
Theresa from British Columbia has done rides with Jim Bryant and Doug
Masinkowsy (sp). The terminator and the exterminator. We are still
looking for a name for Theresa. The vetting was tough and thorough. I
like it that way. They worked with the students and my mare was very
tolerant of the many hands on her. Usually my mare hates being touched
by strangers but Reid seemed to really enjoy the fuss.
This was a 2 day ride. Reid and I signed up for the 50 mile the first
day. I planned on riding a concervative 50 so I could do both days. I
had tried to talk Gayle into a 50 but she chose the LD riding Trishs
gelding Cruise.
Post time was 7 am Saturday morning. I slept in and was rushing to make
it on time. At 6.45 I was on Reid and warming up. She was feeling really
good . We called out our number to the timer and at 7 am we were off.
Vikram on his crazy arab , Floyd on his arab and me with Reid. Carol
Wadey and her daughter Rae Anne in the rear. Now Vikrams horse goes a
little strange at the start but then his horse goes a little strange
quite often. We had agreed to let him go out first to save the hassel
(although him riding a bucking fit is always good morning
entertainment:-DDD) Reid was not happy with this but I held her back
hoping they would get out of site fast. Well Reid would have no part of
this so I just let her go and we soon were riding with Vikram. The trail
was great sand track road good footing and nice bush on either side. We
were trotting and cantering along enjoying each others company. Every
once in a while for entertainment I would let Reid creep ahead and watch
Ashiram (sp) go nuts.  I told Vikram I would stay behind him so he could
maybe use this as a training ride. Train Ashiram to not be so nuts. I
did take lead a couple of times and his horse tried to climb over mine
running into her back end. A couple well placed kicks fixed that in a
hurry. The training part was working but for my mares safety we opted to
stay in the back. The first vet check was a pulse and go at 13.5 miles.
A beautiful lake and nice area. We almost beat the crews there. Reid
came down within minutes. Vikrams horse took a little longer. The vet
students laughed as I climbed on Reid and galloped out of the check
yelling "see you later my brother". We were having a little sibbling
rivarly going. Reid and I cantered along figuring if they were going to
catch us they could work for it:-D. There were wire gates to open and
close along the trail and soon they caught up to us. We carried on to
the river together stopped to drink and electrolite. They view was
spectacular and 100s of geese took of from the lake as we approached. It
was a great day. We pulled into the vet check at mile 36 for a 1 hour
hold. This vet check is an old tree farm and is like a secret garden. It
was an experimental farm for the University and was abandoned . We had
over taken the 25 milers so I got to visit with Gayle. I think when she
saw how fast we were riding she was happy to not be with me:-D. We had
lunch and headed out for the last 14 miles home. The horses were still
fresh and cantered on a loose rein . We headed into deep brush and
roots. Reid trotted freely along in the lead. Yup Ashiram was staying
back. I ride bush trails all the time at home so she is used to the
roots and branches. No stumbling here. The trails got to be quite deep
sand in some places but Reid seemed to handle it well. She was still
moving freely on a loose rein and her heart rate was staying at a good
working level. I haven't rode her in deep sand before.
We were enjoying the ride. We stopped to water at Adamsons lake not far
from the finish line. As we both left the water we picked up speed to
the gate where 2 vet students were on duty. The finish line was not far
off . I figured the first through the gate had a chance. Both horses are
pretty well matched for speed. As soon as I hit hard pack I told Reid it
was time. We kicked to a gallop with Vikram right on our butt. Reid knew
we meant business and I felt her dig deep giving every thing she had. We
were galloping down the trail full blast . This is 2 track room for 2
horses only. In front of us was a rider stopped dead in the trail. She
had heard us coming and didn't know where to go. She was riding
competitive trail and I think she was trying to pulse down. Her horse
stood and danced I yelled look out and we went by her one on the tail
side the other on the nose side. Across the finish line and into a car
on the trail. The car was tryng to get out of the way and I had visions
of kissing its back end. They pulled it into the bush giving us enough
room to get by. It was a great ride and a great race. Reid took best
condition which meant she came through great. I am so proud of this
little horse. She has come a long way towards being an endurance horse
from the crazy I bought 4 years ago. We are partners .
Happy trails to all
Paddi Sprecher