Re: Too many messages

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 03:15:53 GMT

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:42:43 -0500, you wrote:

>At the risk of adding more traffic to the list, I was wondering if we =
could
>somehow become a news group. We are getting too big for our britches.
>News groups are much more manageable for this type of volume and are
>separated into threads. That way, you do not have to download all the =
mail
>- just the titles and authors and you can pick what you want to download
>and read. So if I don't want to read 800 messages on limited distance
>rides (which I really enjoy) or whatever the hot topic is, I don't need =
>wait for them to download before I read what I am interested in.

If you have the right e-mail software, it will organize the messages
from the list into threads just like the posts on a newsgroup. Mine
does (Agent).

Although our volume is growing, there are other lists with higher
volume. I like the idea of a newsgroup, but in addition to this list,
not in place of it. A newsgroup attracts crossposting and spam, usually
has a worse signal-to-noise ratio as a result, and is often a less
polite forum. OTOH, people can "drop in" more easily so a newsgroup
would attract more new participants.

>Just a suggestion, I do not know what is involved in setting one up or =
even
>if everyone would have access to it.

There are specific procedures spelled out in FAQ's on Usenet (in one of
the news.* groups, I don't remember which offhand). Setting up an
alt.equine.endurance would be easiest, but would also be most likely to
have spam and noise. There's already a rec.equestrian; if we start a
group, how about rec.equine.endurance?

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net