Re: [RC] CA State Parks; what I found out - Elizabeth Walker

I totally agree. I ride in the Cuyamaca National Forest (Cuyamaca Rancho State Park) all the time. So do a lot of other folks. The Descanso endurance ride this weekend is being held there. Lots of organizations hold events there - and they pay fees.

One thing they could do - right now - to raise income is to start charging for use outside of the visitor center and official campgrounds. As a "for instance" - lots of folks ride into the area from two places: the Descanso / Merigan ranch trailhead, and the trailhead at the Sweetwater Bridge. Neither of those areas charge a fee - and they get a fair amount of traffic. Possibly in the past the amount of traffic was considered to be 'too small' to justify the overhead for collecting fees, but areas like this should be re- evaluated before they just shut everything down.

If it is a choice between paying a fee or not being able to ride there - I will pay the fee in a skinny minute. Heck - I'll pay for a yearly pass. That system is already in place, but Cuyamaca State Park does not require a Wilderness Pass.