[RC] starting horses late - Faustina Duffy

I just can't hold out any longer...GOTTA POST <VBG>

No, I prefer to start them in daylight, I get to sleepy after sunset...

Disclaimer up front-this is my OPINION....
I REALLY prefer to wait until a horse is older before backing them!  My reasons:
1.  Less likely to get excited about what they can learn and push them to do more than their bodies have matured to do (he trots so nicely, lets try smaller circles...oh, now a canter...).
2.  They don't change QUITE as much, so I am less likely to inadvertently cause them discomfort (and possible evasion behaviors) with sa saddle that fit just last week but not this (yes, slightly exaggerated, but you do see the idea, right?)
3.  Older horses are frequently past the spook & fart for the fun of it game!  They are (for some only slightly, I admit) less likely to develop the game of "Horse Eating Leaf-MUST FLEE!" and find that shying will dislodge mom.  This is a biggie in my book.  They seem to have a more rational sense of self preservation in place by 7, and are willing to protect me from my own foolishness (I'm NOT going IN THERE!) but a willingness to look it over before flight (Wait, you'll walk through that nasty little forest/jungle?  Hey, slow down, Mom, you have the cookies!).

Now to just Put up or shut up and catch up on some of my own poines in need of jobs...as soon as I get this house ready to sell....SIGH!
Faustina