From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Trailer loading
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 07:33:47 -0800

Theresa Williams said:

> Using a Brenderup 2H straight load with a ramp.
> I lead her in, then when I try to go behind to fasten,
> she backs out calmly...over and over again.

If you ask me, part of your problem is that you are leading her in.  I
don't lead horses into trailers, I send them in.  If you do that, when
she starts to back out, you will be behind her instead of in front of
her, and it will be easier to correct it.

Oft times, when I have had a problem with a horse that does this, I will
teach them to be sent into a trailer (and stay in) using a set of stocks
instead of the trailer until the horse learns the correction that means
"stop backing up, I am behind you."

What I avoid like the plague (although I cannot say I NEVER do it) is
getting into trailers with horses.  In my opinion, a horse is not fully
trailer trained until you can throw the lead rope over the horse's
withers, point it at the trailer, and say "load up" and it leaps onto
the trailer.  Since you have a two-horse straight load, this should be
easy (it is a little trickier but not impossible with a slant loader,
which is why _I_ don't and wouldn't choose to own one).

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes ? enter the Microsoft Office Live Sweepstakes http://clk..atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/