Re: [RC] Int'l vs domestic - kimfuess

Terre,
  Your post will have me do a lot more thinking in terms of the horse/mileage relationship.  The one thing that I will mention is that when an organization like like FEI concentrates only on winning and does not have a counter program that rewards longevity, it means that only a small number of horses will be "worth" putting time, money, and energy into.  The negatives of this approach is that a lot of horses do get rejected because they do not have the potential to win.  In terms of a program that is developing world champions, this is the way to go.  So it really doesn't matter how excellent the riders are, how good the horsemanship is, how wonderful the care is.  The bottom line is when winning is the most important thing every thing else including 2nd place is losing.  A serious competitor is not going to "waste" time on a horse only capable of 10th place. I am not judging but calling it as I see it.  If this were my goal in distance riding, I wouldn't waste my time on a horse that couldn't "win".  The positives of this approach are that you are getting the "best" in terms of speed and distance.  That is what the FEI Championship rides are about.

AERC has room for mediocre horses and for horses that are not the best in both speed and distance. I don't see where FEI does. Perhaps this is why some AERC horses can only can compete for a 1000 miles.  It may not always be because of ignorance or poor horsemanship on the riders part but just the limitations of that horse.  1000 miles is all they are physically and genetically capable of.  Some horses are not capable of more than 25 mile distances or more than 50 mile distances.  Yet, they too can be part of the AERC program.  The positives are that a rider can take his back yard horse and can probably do some type of AERC riding and shoot for some goal whether regional/ national awards, distance awards, or speed.  The negatives to this is that focus must be more varied to accomodate everyone.  It's harder to develop an olympic level racing program when it is based on a program geared to the amateur and horses that can be at the low end of the spectrum.

My focus is not on the micro, or what individuals do or how they ride or what they value.  There is no reason that some riders can't go from goals to just complete in AERC to International level competition to flat track racing for all I care.  I am much more concerned about the macro or the big picture.  By this I am concerned with what organizations believe in and what they value, and what they promote.  In this sense, I see more differences than similarities when it comes to AERC and USEF values and trends.  I don't see the gap becoming more narrow but growing wider.  Why does AERC need to affiliate or have a closer relationship with USEF when the organizations' vision and focus is so different?  Is this really about providing a platform (which isn't proving very successful) for a small percentage of AERC members so we can say everyone is included in the Big Tent?  Or is this more about an organization trying to retain or gain more influence in the Endurance Racing scene?  Honestly, I don't know but I am pretty sure that AERC riders could easily move from AERC to International endurance just like AERC riders move from AERC to RAT to CTR.