[RC] - Smith, Dave

Thought you folks would like to see how the Sacramento Bee Newspaper is reporting the Tevis:

Bridled enthusiasum

To take on the grueling Tevis Cup 100-miler, both horse and rider have to be tough

By Dan Vierria -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:01 am PDT Thursday, July 27, 2006
Story appeared in Scene section, Page E1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Chuck Mather, riding Dance on Hallany, pauses at to check the horse's heart rate after running up a steep hill during a workout Tuesday. They are preparing for the 52nd annual Tevis Cup Ride on Aug. 5. More than 200 horse-and-rider teams have qualified for the world-renowned 100-miler through the Sierra. Sacramento Bee/Kevin German

See additional images

Old Dusty wasn't much of a horse.

"Worst horse in the world," declares Chuck Mather of Weimar. "The first time I rode him, we were out for an hour and went 100 yards. He wouldn't go forward. He'd back up before he went forward."

Mather will saddle up Aug. 5 for his 10th Tevis Cup Ride, the exhausting 100-miler from Robie Equestrian Park near Truckee to Auburn. More than 200 riders have qualified for this year's storied endurance ride.

In 1994, Mather finished his first Tevis Cup riding Dusty. Since then, he's finished four more times on two other Arabians. He and his current horse, Dance on Hallany, placed sixth, only six minutes behind the winner, in 2003.

And Dusty? After eating part of Mather's barbecue and the top to his convertible, Dusty was sold years ago to a woman who qualified him as a patrol horse for law enforcement.

"I kept working with Dusty, and he obviously learned something," says Mather, who admits he's since learned quite a bit about horses.

The Tevis Cup is a partnership of horse and rider. Both are conditioned to endure ascents totaling 18,000 feet and descents of 23,000 feet in the rugged and spectacularly beautiful Sierra, where temperatures can hit 120 degrees in deep canyons.

The idea is to finish the 100 miles in 24 hours or less, which requires riding in both sunlight and moonlight. Most of the way, riders and horses are eating dust.

In the words of two-time finisher Marvin Jacinto, "This is not a race for snivelers!"

Mather, 59, isn't much for sniveling but does admit his back hurts during rides. "Arthritis," he says.

His stomach doesn't cooperate, either.

"I get sick a lot," he says. "The last time I finished, about 30 miles from the finish line, I was puking about every five miles."

The Tevis Cup is famous worldwide and sometimes called the granddaddy of modern endurance races. Since the beginning of the ride on an annual basis in 1955, the challenge of crossing the Sierra on horseback has lured teams from as far away as Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed brought a team to ride in the 50th anniversary Tevis Cup in 2004.

Officially, it's simply a ride, and all finishers are considered winners. Winning, however, is the aim of the most competitive entrants. The first horse-and-rider team to complete the 100 miles takes the Tevis Cup Trophy. No cash is awarded. Rules also state that the winning horse must be in sound physical condition and "fit to continue."

Among riders, gender is not important and, in fact, women seem to have the edge over men. Male and female riders tied in 2004, but of the remaining winners in the past 10 years, seven have been women.

As the competition has improved, so has ride-related technology. Today's horse and rider are tracked by global positioning systems, the horse's heart rate is monitored by radio frequency signals to a digital readout, and the ride is broadcast via webcast (at www.foothill.net/tevis/webcast06/ index.html).

At checkpoints along the trail, veterinarians from a staff of 17 check heart rate and condition of each horse. Often, either the vet or the rider pulls a horse out of the competition. Last year's completion rate was only 43 percent.

Mather didn't finish last year, pulling Dance on Hallany (he calls the horse "George" for short) early when he suspected the animal had a flu bug.

This year Mather estimates his Arabian will carry about 200 pounds, a total that includes rider, an English saddle and other gear. To rest their mounts, riders dismount and lead the horse over portions of the trail.

The steepest uphill segments, meanwhile, call for another tactic.

"I'll tail-up the steep hills -- grab their tail and follow them up," Mather says. "Let them pull you up."

Once darkness falls, the horse, with its superior night vision, is trusted to stay on the trail. Each year the ride is scheduled to coincide with a full moon to light the way.

"I rode one year where it was cloudy with no moon, and it actually rained," says Mather. "It was horribly humid, but the horses do fine. They keep on the trail. Give them a loose rein; don't try to steer them. Trust the horse and let them go."

Tevis Cup horses are almost entirely Arabians or Arabian mixes, and most are geldings. A handful of mustangs are entered in this year's ride, along with a few other breeds and a couple of mules. Arabians, whose roots are thought to have been in Middle Eastern deserts, possess two important traits to endurance racing -- speed and stamina.

Mather prefers Arabians and spent about four years learning about them before that initial ride. Before endurance horse racing, he competed in endurance runs, including the Western States 100, which is over the same Sierra trail.

"About 1990, when I was doing a lot of running, my wife decided she needed something to do, so she brought a horse home," says Mather. "She and the horse didn't get along and I'd never been on a horse in my life."

So Mather got on the horse -- good ol' Dusty. The chemistry between man and horse wasn't there with Dusty, but Mather was hooked on riding.

Once, a mountain lion bounded across the trail. Dusty threw Mather and took off.

"Here I was out in nowhere and without my horse," says Mather. "But his whole world centered around me. Dusty ran about 50 feet, stopped and looked back at me."

Mather broke his foot during a training ride last year, but since there was nobody around to lend medical assistance, he did what needed to be done: He got back in the saddle and rode to civilization.

Another time during a training ride, he was leading his horse on foot along a steep canyon trail when the horse took a fall.

"He stepped into a slough area. It gave way and spun him right down," says Mather. "He went tumbling all the way to the bottom."

After Dusty found a new home, Mather acquired Czaruska from a friend.

"The hardest-trotting horse to ride in the world, beat you to a pulp," he says. "He was a wonderful horse, but awful to ride. A big, strong, fast horse, he introduced me to speed."

Czaruska finished the 1996 Tevis Cup and Mather later gave thoe horse to a friend, making way for Dance on Hallany. Of his three Tevis Cup Arabians, the unpredictable, destructive Dusty has proved the most memorable.

Years after Dusty had a new owner, Mather would encounter his old horse at a fundraising trail ride in Foresthill. Urged to, "Go say 'Hello' to Dusty," he approached the Arabian.

Says Mather with a chuckle, "Dusty turned around and bit me!"

Tevis Cup Ride

WHAT: A 100-mile endurance race on horseback over the Sierra
START: 5:15 a.m. Aug. 5 from Robie Equestrian Park near Truckee
BEST PLACE TO WATCH: Foresthill mill site veterinarian checkpoint. Fastest teams begin arriving around midafternoon Aug. 5. Also, Foresthill's main street as riders leave the vet-check area
FINISH: Aug. 6 (for most riders) at the "Auburn Overlook" near McCann Stadium at the Gold Country Fairgrounds in Auburn. Top 10 usually begin finishing around 8 p.m. Aug. 5. Teams must finish by 5:15 a.m. Aug. 6.
AWARDS: The ceremony is at 3 p.m. Aug. 6 at the Farrell Wrenn Park area at the Gold Country Fairgrounds in Auburn. Before the ceremony, there will be a picnic-style banquet at the site starting at noon
INFORMATION: www.foothill.net/tevis

About the writer:

Mather gallops the Arabian horse, which he calls George for short, during their workout. Sacramento Bee/Kevin German

Chuck Mather leads Dance on Hallany – a.k.a. George – to the barn in Weimar after their workout Tuesday. Sacramento Bee/Kevin German

GIF image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image