[RC] Barefoot subject - Barbara McCrary

I have been finding the discussion of barefoot riding rather interesting.  Our horse that had a rattlesnake bite on his front pastern 5 years ago has been problematical for soundness until we discovered by pure fluke that he is more comfortable when he is not wearing shoes on his front feet.  Neither the farrier nor I can exactly figure out why being barefoot allows him to travel sound, while wearing shoes causes him to be rather inconsistent for soundness.  Anyway, I did observe this and we stopped shoeing the front feet.  Enter the scene...EZ Boot Epics.  These are a Godsend, as this horse is also a chronic front shoe-puller.  Short strong back + long legs + long overreach = pulled front shoes, with astounding regularity.  We now ride him with EZ Boot Epics, which protect and cushion his bare feet and which he cannot pull off, because there is no extension or ridge he can grab with his hind feet.  We think it just may be possible that he can be re-conditioned and brought back to endurance riding.

Barbara