Re: [RC] Securing Horses... - Truman Prevatt

But I've seen a horse that laid down tied to a trailer, ended up with his leg under and if he tried to get up would have probably broken his leg. The horse had to be tranquilized so he would not panic while the trailer was mover back forward several times turning to more it over every time and several people worked on moving the leg free so the trailer could be moved away from the leg. One of the most scary incidents I've seen. Of course since the horse was medicated, to add insult to injury - it could not start the next day under the AERC drug rule.

There is no fool proof way to secure a horse. Just when you think you have found it the horse will make a fool of you every time ;-) !

Truman

Zephyr Arabians wrote:

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with tying to
the trailer using the "NATRC method."  Of course, my
horses have lots of experience tying at home & then in
new places before going to rides, but I still think
tied is one of the safest options (including tied
direct to trailer, hi-ties or picket lines).  Sure,
horses are horses, but this has worked for me and has
worked for NATRC riders for many years.  And, you
never seem to hear of loose horses running through
NATRC camps.

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell