Re: [RC] Diesel at $3 a gallon - Barbara McCrary

This has been my contention all along. I feel this country is simply not trying hard enough to develop fuel alternatives. As for atomic power generation, Europe is using atomic-fueled power plants everywhere. We have a few in this country. I know a lot of people are afraid of nuclear power, but think about this: In 1900, a man developed a hydro power plant in our canyon and in exchange for the right of way for his lines to send the electricity to Santa Cruz, about 20 miles away, he offered my husband's grandparents free electricity. They turned it down because they were afraid it was too dangerous. They continued to use a wood cookstove, heat with wood and use kerosene lamps. Talk about possibilities for danger (fire.) The point being...we are all afraid of something new and misunderstood. I feel it is absolutely imperative that this country wean itself away from foreign oil...there are countries out there that do not have our best interests at heart, and either withholding oil or pricing us out of our capability to pay would be a really easy way to bring us to our knees.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Kristen A Fisher" <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'ridecamp'" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:39 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Diesel at $3 a gallon

But we're in this bind for several reasons, among them our own unwillingness to explore and develop oil reserves, our lag in developing alternative power sources, our phobia of atomic solutions, etc. All of that has led to our alarming dependence on foreign oil, coming from sources that are not at all concerned about our economic health (but that's how economics work).