[RC] Chevy Blows It--Western Horseman Blows It too and Trail Access - Joane Pappas White

Hello Ridecamp,

It is certainly nice to be able to communicate again with the digest members
 I appears that my computer technician set the new computer program on a
way "rich text" diet and John explained that the digester automatically
strips such content!  Live and Learn.

From the beginning of the Chevy Blows It thread, I have been posting but
only getting through to those who were not on the digest version.  Several
of you emailed about the lack of comment in my posts so here they finally
are:

1/1/2006

I have driven one ton Dodge Duallys for 6 years and was actually thinking
about a change.  I had read a lot about the Chevy Duramax----then I too saw
the ad in Western Horsemen-----I think the women of endurance should go
after the job of the ad agent who thought that ad was cute----from a legal
point of view---it is sexist and discriminatory---from an everyday point of
view---I WAS TOTALLY OFFENDED!

1/2/2006

Hi Laney and Ridecamp,

I previously made only a brief comment on the "Chevy Blows It" post which
you started but  I, too, was ultimately offended when that "insert book/ad"
fell from our new Western Horseman onto my kitchen table last week.

At first I thought the ad was going to take these blatantly offensive
statements and conclude by making us all laugh at some tongue-in-cheek type
humor!  After all, what major truck company is going to be so stupid as to
openly insult not only its largest new customer group (women), but also its
major customer base (men) by making them look like they have no education or
self control over the purchase of something as serious as a vehicle.
Imagine my surprise when the "joke" just got worse as I turned each page.

However, I generally take the time to do some research before I react---it
is an occupational hazard.  While I might suspect that Chevrolet employs
clueless ad agents, it was really hard for me to believe that Western
Horseman would authorize such an advertising insert as part of their January
issue.

The WH website has a subscriber profile.  35% of all WH subscribers are
women.  78% of all subscribers are married.  68.8% have attended college.
The average subscriber has a household income of almost $100,000 and 96% of
WH subscribers have at least one truck.  Those statistics tell me that the
Chevy advertising campaign is likely to offend an average truck consumer,
anger a Western Horseman subscriber and INFURIATE not only the women of
endurance, but the men too!  My husband is not some mindless, uneducated,
testosterone-driven consumer  who buys a truck based on some "primordial"
masculine instinct.  That image is even more offensive to me than the idea
that I should be buying dolls, shoes or diamonds but not trucks.

So rather than preach to the choir, I think we should ask Chevrolet for the
name of the advertising agency that designed this new campaign for them.  If
the rest of you read the blog information from Ms. Clark which Laney posted,
you will see that Chevrolet is proud of this campaign, so certainly they
will point out the name and address of its creator.  Then,  LET THE FLAMES
BEGIN.

1/2/2006

For those of you following this thread----I just posted my letter together
with some endurance references on the Western Horseman bulletin
boards---jump and and join me:

http://forums.westernhorseman.Com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb
cgi?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

The following response was posted by another endurance rider:

"I received the same Chevy ad insert in a different magazine and was just as
outraged as my fellow endurance riders.

Although it reflects badly on any periodical that would allow it in its
pages and the advertising company that created it, the ultimate
responsibility lies with General Motors and it's approval of the offensively
sexist ad campaign."

BY THE WAY FOR THE PERSON WHO POSTED THE TRAILS ACCESS NOTE, BEFORE YOU
CHASTISE THOSE OF US WHO ARE OFFENDED BY THE CHEVY AD AND ARE DOING
SOMETHING ABOUT IT, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED US IF WE RESPONDED TO
JULIE'S REQUEST TO CONTACT OUR CONGRESSMEN  OVER THE TRAILS LEGISLATION.
THE ANSWER FOR ME IS "YES I DID IMMEDIATELY UPON JULIE'S REQUEST".  NOW WHAT
DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH BEING OFFENDED BY THE CHEVY AD AND MAKING THAT
OPINION KNOWN TO THE MAGAZINES (AND THAT IS PLURAL NOW) THAT ARE PUBLISHING
THE AD?

Joane Pappas White

AERC M18027

Attorney at Law