[RC] Fw: Letter to participants of GAHR - Tom Sites

Note to participants of GAHR

During the summer of 1975, we came across the story of two men from Illinois who were planning a cross-country horse race during the bicentennial summer of 1976. After reading that story, and then many others, we decided to visit its headquarters in Kankakee, Illinois.

   What we found there were two entrepreneurs who were supported by nearly the entire community from its mayor to its grocery store clerks.  Former Illinois governor Sam Shapiro and Mayor Tom Ryan were on the National Advisory Board for the race, and the mayor offered a proclamation that this event was Kankakee?s bicentennial gift to the United States of America.

   From that initial visit we negotiated a contract to be become part of a team  of seven photographers and writers who were to travel with the race and furnish photographs and stories for new release during the race, and a book afterward.

   After the first weeks of the race, we were the only ones of this team still traveling with the race, and we continued to its end. We took over 6,000, photographs that summer. We published 240 of these photographs in the book The Great American Horse Race of 1976, A Photographic Documentary. A portion of our news release for the book states;

  ? The Great American Horse Race was run between New York and California during the bicentennial summer of 1976.

      The race was designed to travel 35-40 miles per day, while camping in fairgrounds and pastures near small rural communities. Ninety two riders from 32 states and eight foreign countries entered 14 different breeds of horses and mules. The contestants were divided almost evenly between men and women, and a community of up to 450 support personnel traveled with the riders.

   For those involved and for those towns passed through, they truly experienced a once in a lifetime adventure. Their epic journey was a significant historical event. Never in the history of man has anything ever happened like what happened during the summer of 1976. These people deserve to have their story told. Since we were the only journalist to travel with the race for the entire summer, we felt that if we did not tell it, no one could.?

   Only a few books of the original printing are still available, and our intentions in the near future is to publish a second edition with an expanded and more complete story, with a hard cover.

   We want to hear from all of you who were part of this event, riders, crew, family, support people, Illinois people, everyone. We want to know if the race affected your life afterward, and what happened to your horses, and any comments any of you might have.

  Call or e-mail and we will send you a book.

 Lewis & Underwood 866-364-7575, e-mail carguyict@xxxxxxxxx

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?