[RC] Barefoot debate - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have done the barefoot program and at one time was sold on the
purported benefits a la  Strasser et al. I did see the quality of hoof
improve-- hoof wall thickness, sole toughness, foot size, etc.
I still had to boot up for protection on endurance rides here in the southwest,
though. At the time I was ushering my wife and two pre-teen daughters down the
trail. Yessir,16, count'em 16, easy boots going down the trail at the same
time. Despite my best efforts, it
was like driving a
$500 car 80 miles per hour--you never knew when something was going to fly off.
I finally got so exasperated trying to keep the boots on under all
circumstances, out of practicality I returned to shoeing, and booting the
fronts when extra protection was needed. The horses soundness actually
improved, presumably at least in part due to the increased protection. That
soundness continues today.
To not do so for me would have meant an appearence on CNN as the next clock
tower sniper. At least I don't pad anymore, and their soles are tougher and
more cuppy. I tried everything to keep the boots on--duct tape, foaming(yuck),
etc. I got so good at using easy boots, I can literally get one on or off in
less than 12 seconds. (We've timed it.)
  I think the heat in this discussion will continue until we ask better
questions about whether the premise of barefootin' and the  benefits claimed by
its proponents actually occur a significant amount of the time. For example,
after controlling the variables, which group of horses (shod or unshod): Colic
more often? Remain sound for a lifetime (and under what level of usage), Remain
sound over 50 miles? Over 100 miles? 1000 miles? 10000 miles? Over rock? Over
sand? Develop less arthritis? Develop less navicular?
I don't think we can speak to these questions adequately without
more data. Enthusiastic anecdotes don't prove anything, shod or unshod.
I'm reminded of a story of a man living in New York City who, each morning
would step outside his front door and clap his hands three times loudly and go
back inside. After watching this for several weeks, his neighbor's curiosity
got the better of him, and he asked the man why each morning he clapped his
hands on his front porch. To which the man confidently replied, "It keeps the
elephants out of New York City."
We all care about our horses, but our relationship with them is definitely a
tradeoff. We can't make their world perfect. Fortunately they have, like all
living creatures, a certain ability to cope with and endure certain conditions.
I am surprised someone hasn't mentioned the Pandora's box begging to be opened
on the coattails of this barefoot debate. Barefoot supporters are enthusiatic
presumably because they feel it is clearly better than
the alternative. What then is the better alternative-- A saddled, weight
bearing horse subject to potential capillary damage, muscle
damage, even premature vertebral segment arthritis and eventual fusion-- or an
unsaddled, unridden horse? A horse with a steel bit
in it's mouth or one without? A horse that undergoes the risk and stress of
trailering long distances smelling exhaust fumes or one who lives his life out
safely in a pasture of knee high timothy?
I for one am grateful for those who dare to commit to the barefoot
program,because they are the ones who will eventually provide enough reliable
information to show how and how often it works, and under what conditions. It's
certainly worth exploring, but we would do well to remember that opinions,
however loudly proclaimed, are not facts.  Gotta go-- Law and Order is on
   Bruce Weary