Re: [RC] 50 or 25? - Don Huston

Hello Carla,
Don't know about "right" but IMHO you should start with 25's and find your horses pace. Then when your horse can do a 25 in 4 hours and walk in and pulse down in 1-2 minutes he is ready to try a 50 assuming you keep that pace for the first 25 and then you have the option of slowing some for the second half. That means you should plan on completing 50 miles in 10+ hours. At the 3rd vet check be sure to tell the vet it's your first 50 and ask for his opinion about continuing. I have had my horse vet the 3rd check just fine but I knew she wasn't right. I went back to the hay and water and she started eating slow and steady so I just left her that way for an hour while I snacked and helped others. When she quit eating and started looking around we left for home and finished in fine shape. You don't have to leave a vet check until your horse is ready. Good Luck.
Don Huston