[RC] Update on 100-mile rides - Barbara McCrary

On Ridecamp, we've had a lengthy discussion on where the 100-mile rides have gone, or perhaps where have the 100-mile RIDERS gone.  There have been a lot of thoughtful answers, and a lot of speculation.
I was talking to a vet a couple of days ago, and it was his question to me, and my answer to him, that the multi-day rides are becoming the ultimate competition, rather than the 100-mile ride.
All I can say at this moment is: for our 75/100 miles rides coming up soon, the entries for the 75 compared to the 100 are over 4 to 1.  We will not offer the 100-mile ride in the future if there is no more response than this.  It is considerably more time- and energy-consuming to offer both distances than to offer just the one, probably 50% more effort, because of the logistics of trails used and the necessity of maintaining the extra mileage for the 100.

If 100-mile rides are so desired, then support them, or they will disappear in favor of lesser mileages and multi-day rides.  Don't just sit there and complain about where the 100s have gone.....get out there and ride one!

Barbara McCrary, ride mgr.
Swanton Pacific 75/100
"The Most Beautiful Trail in the World"
Website: http://members.cruzio.com/~bigcreekranch/

See our website for information, photos, and a printable ride entry