[RC] re: Cyn- saddle fit post - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: teresa van hove tvanhove@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
am having a small problem with a new mustang mare. She is narrow and built
like a greyhound,
with whithers. I have bought a western slick fork saddle (very old school) to
ride trails in
and to use in mounted shooting. It is 29 inches front to back and seems to fit
her pretty well.
I need a really good saddle blanket that will assist in keeping any pressure
off her whithers
as they are prominent. I had the saddle checked for fit by a professional and
have been riding her
in it, the only difficulty I have had so far is it slides back when she runs
uphill.
Now I need a really good quality western blanket with a little fullness.
..

Good on ya for having saddle fit checked and for recognizing you have a problem
with the rubbing
and reluctance,regardless of what you were told.

There are some good saddle fitting websites out there.  Try a google.com search
for fitting saddles.
Heres a tip thats really easy to do.  Put the saddle on the horse w/o blanket
and w/o
cinching it up and run your hand under it.  You can really feel where the
saddle pinches
and gaps doing this.

IF the saddle is just a bit too wide you might be able to fix your issues by
adding
a pad with gel inserts. I believe I got mine from Stateline, but we get so many
tack
catalogs and it was so long ago I cant be sure.  I would always use a
breathable pad
under a gel pad so this is only an option if you need to fill in space.  If you
need
to buy another saddle its good to make templates of your horse's back with a
flexicurve
(can buy at art store.)  Then transfer to cardboard and you can do rough checks
for
wither fit-aka gullet, fit at loin, and rock (degree of curve from wither to
loin about
midpoint of the saddle panels. )  This way you can narrow the selection and
then should
only need to bring the horse for making the final choice of which saddle fits
the
best.

One other thought -- first you thought the saddle was ok except for slipping
back
and now you have a breastcollar you are getting rubbing if I understand?
So --this should not cause so much trouble, but you may not have the bc
adjusted right, it should not be pulling the saddle forward only
keeping it from sliding back going up hills.  But I dont have experience
with this horse body type.  Mine have a plenty big hay belly to hold
the saddle in place just from the girth groove, I add a bc only when
I'm going to be riding a lot of hills and then I really dont need
it, its just a reassurance. -- my saddle fitting knowledge was
gained solving a totally different problem with Grey Moun

Best wishes on an easy solution and happy backed horse,
Teresa