[RC] Trail Conservation - Wendy Mancini

    I just received an e mail from one of my local trail riding groups about ELCR.  I was surprised to find that one of the trail groups being sponsored is one that I work on, Allaire Trail Useres Group (ATUG), bikers, hikers & equestrians.  Also, AERC is a partner along with a number of others.  Although they say membership is free, they do ask for a donation.  What the heck, I miss some of my groups work sessions because I'm away at rides so I don't mind "putting my money where my mouth is".  Anyhow, the email & link are below for those interested.
   Wendy Mancini in NJ

Think of how it would be to saddle or trailer your horse in the expectation of taking a leisurely trek through a scenic trail only to find out that the trail is no longer there.  Or even if the trail does exist, for some reason, you find that horses are no longer allowed on it.

These conditions, although saddening, are all too common.  Open space is lost to development.  New land owners are not aware of the relationship that horseriders have with the land through which they love to ride.  Any number of reasons and circumstances all come to the same end - no place to ride.  I am writing to encourage you to pave a new path, literally, for you and your horse.

ELCR launched Trail Trotters to promote access to land for horseback riding.  Trail Trotters will show our communities how strong the bond is between a horse and rider by becoming stewards of the very land we enjoy.

Trail Trotters is a free program with no fees or membership requirement.

Trail Trotters is being funded with the help of ELCR?s major sponsors including the National Forest Foundation and Anhueser-Busch Company.  Land and stewardship materials are being provided by Tread Lightly!®, one of ELCR?s Alliance partners.

All Trail Trotters projects will be completed on June 4, 2005, National Trails Day.  Since this is a one-day annual event, your time commitment will be brief.  Although participants may volunteer for projects on any type of land, due to a backlog of maintenance, ELCR hoping you will consider projects on or near national forest land.

It is quick and easy to become a Trail Trotter by registering for an existing project or to register a new project on ELCR?s website, www.elcr.org, or by calling the national office at (815) 858-3501.

Happy Trails,

Brad Field, Program Assistant
Equestrian Land Conservation Resource