Re: [RC] RC] competing gaited horses - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 11/22/2004 8:17:48 PM Central Standard Time, DAldr94141@xxxxxxx writes:

Are gaited horses more likely to have a higher pulse and harder to compete points wise in CTR's since in endurance there is no point system like that?

I'd guess that it varies from horse to horse, rather than being that gaited horses always have higher pulses than Arabs.  My husband does LD on a 14.1h Paso Fino, and his horse always pulses down very quickly.  In fact, at a ride last month, he rode with several friends who were on Arabs...his Paso pulsed down a lot faster at the end than did the Arabs.  I was going from horse to horse, checking their HRs with a handheld HR monitor.  His Paso was in the 50s while all of the Arabs were still in the 70s.  Arabs do tend to pulse down faster than many other breeds, especially the "heavier" horses that hold heat more, but that doesn't mean that gaited horses automatically always have higher pulses.  Conditioning plays a role, as does how the horse is ridden, the horse's temperament, etc.  You mentioned that the gal's CTR horse was "hot" - I'd guess that his temperament plays a role...he gets excited and takes longer to pulse down.  My husband's horse was like that at first, but after 2+ years, he knows his job and knows the ropes, and pulses right down when coming into a vet check.  He knows it's time to EAT!  LOL

Dawn in East Texas