Re: [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us - Lif Strand

At 05:46 AM 10/3/2004, Truman Prevatt wrote:

A new market has to be developed and the only new market I see for Arabs is the pleasure market. One of the jobs of a breed association is to build markets. The AHR seems to either be doing a very poor job at that or not doing it at all.

Oh, I agree. But that would require that buyers purchase registered Arabians, right?

I don't see that endurance riders want to be much of a help with that task. Over the past years whenever we've talked on this list about buying Arabians for endurance that were bred for the sport, I've read lots and lots of emails about why it's cheaper to buy/rescue horses from killer auctions, why other breeds are better for endurance, why genetics doesn't matter, etc.

Without the support of AHR, based on the example of a respected sport that puts Arabians on the trails, what's that Registry to do except keep advertising how wonderful Arabians are? Ads are just words, with pretty photos. I personally can't believe that ads are the basis for any significant number of purchases. Being face to face with good using horses will sell Arabians.

So if you want to support the growth of the Arabian breed through the pleasure market, I say people on this list should stop bashing the Arabian breed, stop ignoring AERC's numbers which say that Arabians and part-Arabians dominate the sport, and stop defending the purchasing of non-registered Arabians that aren't even bred for the sport.

It's easy to send emails. I've gotten plenty of emails in my time about how great my endurance horses are. But I didn't get enough buyers to continue breeding those great endurance horses. People have got to put their money where their mouths (and emails) are. In fact, Truman, while you may be riding an Arabian now, you are fast to say that your horse isn't nearly as good as your former endurance horse, a TWH. So how does that help the Arabian pleasure market?