[RC] complicated politics in Iraq and the carribean and 3rd world countries - Mary Ann Spencer

Tom, You are right about the peace not being so easy. That is due to the stores of ammo not being destroyed and the sudden unemployment of an army that was over 400,000 and well trained.  The majority of the Iraqis want to get on with their lives but they are in a 'codependent mode' after living under Saddam.  ie an abused population that will need time to heal and get on with their lives.  Stashes of gold and other valuables have been found here and there throughout the country.  We need the Roosevelt attitude:  "Speak softly and carry a big stick."   Untili the security is improved, the humanitarian process will be very slow.

First, we did not destroy the country in Iraq so there would be less to rebuild.
2nd, there was a lack of knowledge of the real situation in Iraq and it was way worse than initially thought.
3rd.  We have to play by 'rules of engagement' and the enemy doesn't. 4th  It onlyl takes a few to mess up things for the majority, even in USA.
4th  Third world countries always have large casualties during bad storms or earthquakes, etc and for the most part their society accepts.  Must be careful not putting our value system on that of a 3rd world country.  As long as they reproduce without the ability to take care of the offspring, there will be major problems with high casualites during disasters.  Most of the rest of the world does NOT have the value on animals and children that we have in the USA.