RE: [RC] mixing the two - Karen Williams

Years ago I was heavily into showing -- english pleasure, western pleasure,
hunter and saddle seat -- all on the same horse, a half-Arab.  He was always
in the ribbons and frequently won all his classes, showing both English &
Western at the same show.  When I wasn't showing, I was trail riding him and
doing judged rides.  We were out every weekend doing something including
camping in the mountains.   My friend at that time had a gorgeous Arabian
who cleaned up in just about every class she entered him in.  She had no
riding ring and did all her "show" training on the trail.  Her horse was
extremely fit, well trained and could go class after class.

I just hate it when people say their horse is "too conditioned" for the show
ring.   It means that they have not put in the hours training their horse.
If I had a show on Sunday, I'd go for a nice long trail ride on Saturday and
left him out in the pasture Saturday night.

Go for the endurance

Karen

Karen Williams
Spotsylvania, VA