Re: [RC] [Guest] response to "taking care ofhorses when they pass" - Ridecamp Moderator

Elaine,

You are a much braver person than I am. I am very proud that you spoke up for a more realistic view of horse life, keeping them alive and helping them to die.
This subject is viewed by some through such emotional feelings, when they hear a realistic view for dealing with the situation which will face every horse owner, they flame.
I had a husband who died. My parents and grand parents have died. Aunts and Uncles have died. I hope my 6 children and 6 grand children wait till long after I have passed on. There is no comparison with the death of a close relative and a pet or useful animal's death.
Some of us do elevate a pet or a horse to a higher plain of emotional closeness. I do not know why, perhaps no kids, or no husband, or some need. It does not mater, to each his own. Others deal very kindly with an animal which they spend much time with, and so respect fondly, but do not move up to the status of a human. Every horse will die, and most of us try to provide a humane death for him. That should be enough. What is done with the body after life is gone has no bearing on anything, and is really no ones else's business.
I have some horses which I have spent 20 years looking at in my pasture, as well as riding regularly. Lots of great shared time. These horses will die in the nearer future. I do not need to spend thousands or hundreds of dollars to prolong their life, when the end is near, to be considered a good and kind horse owner. I buy many truck and trailer loads of hay a year to feed these horses, as well as the vaccinations and worming and trimming. But, when good care cannot keep them alive, why, I do have the responsibility to take the next step, and ending their life is not a terrible thing to do.

Lynge