[RC] Sore back... Slipping saddle pads... - Stephanie E Caldwell

Went out on a training ride today, picked up the pace a little bit and went
over more demanding terrain. I noticed that Star was a little more sedate
than usual, thought she was finally getting back in shape. But, after about
an hour of climbing up and down hills she started rearing and being very
ugly over nothing that I could see. I got off, led her a little ways, got
back on, and within 300' she did it again. We went through this for about
half an hour when my friend that I was riding with said she was now acting
gimpy in her back end, so we were about four miles over rough terrain and I
walked Star back to the barn. When we got back there were dry spots under
the "posts" of my western saddle and the front, and the hair had been rubbed
off of them by the saddle pad. She also developed a slight girth gal at each
side of the pad where the latigos came off of it, and the breastcollar clip
rubbed her. I just purchased a Toklat Woolback pad, and I think it allowed
my saddle to slide. I did have a breastcollar on... How can I keep the pad
from sliding?

My current saddle is a Working Steer Roper, and I know it's not suited for
endurance. But, I've tried alot of endurance saddles and nothing's worked so
far. I've never had any soreness in this saddle, until today. I'm looking
for a tree less if anyone has one for sale/trade please let me know. I read
on the internet last night that full rigged saddles, like mine, should be
used with both girths, otherwise it can pinch the shoulders. I'm not
familiar with western, as I always rode english... Is there any truth to
that?

TY in advance,
Stephanie