Re: Re: fly control

I've always found it very curious that so many people have so many problems
with flies---I have very few problems--and those are mostly when it is
extra-humid about---my horses all live in pastures, but with some time in
the barn, leaving some manure in the barn.   I have goats and chickens
running about.   I clean the barn once every two-three years--the chickens
take care of the rest.   I've always believed the flies are drawn by what
you feed the horse---how many additives, etc.   There is a definite change
in the smell of the mature from "natural" to unpleasant that I have noticed
in certain barns where horses are fed to the liking of humans rather than
horses.   Another thing I might add is that "they say" that feeding
diatomaceous earth daily keeps down the fly population (and is good for the
horse) so you might give that a try.
   Claudia (who does things the old-fashioned way - read as "lazy way")