Dealing with girthy horses/ponies

Just curious as to how others have dealt with a girthiness problem that
either developed or was inherited.  I am considering a pony for my daughter
and the only vice the little guy has is that he is girthy...enough so that at
7, she is too young/small to deal with it.  The owner says she goes slow,
keeps the chaos down to a dull roar, and feeds him carrots when he is still.
All well and good, but does someone know how to eventually get rid of this
behavior?  The pony is a 13 yr. old Shetland and is otherwise well trained.
Thanks a lot.

Kristi in Maryland