Marathon Horseshoes

Wolfgang:

I have had some expierence with the maratrhon horseshoes.  I used them at
Tevis this year and they looked great afterwords.  I pulled the pair off
(approx. 120 miles) to save them as a momento, I would say that less than
1/4 of the shoe was worn.  Have a picture of them and my buckle if you want
to see?  I have other pairs that have gone the full 6  week shoeing cycle
with lots of hard training rides.  From doing the 3 major canyons of the
Tevis to hard gravel roads.  I did not pad.  They did excellent going up and
over Cougar rock, no slipping.  I have used them on 3 different horses with
the same results.

I do my own shoeing for the most part.  I stated using them in the
springtime.  They work quite well in the mud.  My first impression was that
they were too flexable.  I have since changed my mind.  The first marathons
that I put on I only 3 nailed (3 nailes on each side) like I do with a steel
shoe.  I have since learned to 4 nail and to use a slightly larger nail, a 6
city head.  The shoes that were 3 nailed did get a little filp floppy in the
mud.  If you 4 nail and leave the sides just a little wider than you would
with a steel shoe in the quarters it will work fine.  I leave the shoes long
as I can in the back to protect the heal.

For those of you who are not familar with the shoe it is a composite (hard
plastic) full round/oval shoe with a hole in the center ( 2"X3" depending on
size  - ten different sizes)  The shoe is 1/2 inch thick with a natural
rolled toe and toe clip built in.

A little costly at $28.00 @ pair but if your training/racing hard I don't
think you can beat the shock aborsubtion factor and the full heal support.
The hole in the center makes it easy to fill if you think you need top pad.
It still gives you alot more heal protection that just pads.

If any one wants any further information they can e-mail to rambo@gv.net
this week or marathon@gv.net next week or call Chris @ 1-800 331-4774
Chris Martin
Nitram, Inc.