Re: [RC] Time off before 100's - Joe Long

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:37:51 -0800, "Mike Sofen" <msofen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So this then begs the question:
What factors are being evaluated to determine whether a given horse is an A
horse (needs riding between events) or a B horse (needs time off)?

In other words, is a B horse displaying signs of fatigue, overtraining,
appetite and/or weight loss, reluctance or irritability while the A horse is
perky to the point of exuberance?

These are the obvious signs...what about less obvious signs?  This is an
especially important question for horse owners with stoic-type horses, where
the horse tends to mask/suppress their actual condition.

It can really be tough.  The first year that Kahlil and I ran for the National
Championship (back when it was total points for all rides in the season), we ran
six 50 mile rides in six consecutive weekends (the SE Region had no fall 100's
in those days).  With two weeks to go in the season we were neck-and-neck with
Becky Hart and Khazen.  Alas, on the last of that six-week series Kahlil wasn't
acting "quite right," he was short-striding and acting crabby (although we did
finish first).  So we took the next week off, and came back and finished 1st in
the last ride of the season (a 50).  As it turned out, we finished second to
Becky by fewer points than we could have garnered on that week off, but I
believe to this day that I made the right decision -- to have not given him that
rest might have ruined him before he ever got to really shine.

All I can say is you have to get to know your horse, and be suspicious of any
deviation from that norm.  I pulled at the midway vet check once despite the vet
assuring me that Kahlil looked good, all his parameters were fine.  But he
wasn't drinking (he was always a good drinker) and his attitude was poor.  His
attitude and not drinking was enough to make me stop.  Less than an hour later
he coliced -- in camp, with a vet close at hand.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx