Re: Barefoot horses

In a message dated 1/30/99 11:18:41 PM EST, MBlanchrd@aol.com writes:

<<
 Other than preventing or lessening wear and tear on a hoof, I can't think of
 another reason why I should have my horse shod. >>

I am a great fan of barefoot horses.  I also feel that in the long run, you
get better feet if you allow at least a few months per year of "barefooting".
I own 14 horses/ponies and at this time of year (our winter) only one has just
front shoes.  This one shod horse gets ridden all winter and lays off during
the summer, we pull his shoes then for an extended time.  My main horse, the
one I compete on, is barefoot for the first time in her adult life and I'm
amazed how well she does barefoot.  Even gravel roads don't bother her, I've
only had her about 1 and 1/2 years.  I may do the barefoot/easyboot routine on
her during the next endurance season.  BTW, I do have a great farrior, but
being barefoot has eliminated almost all foot problems, I beleive.  All my
horses have really great feet, no abcesses or bruising, no cracks or dry feet,
nothing.  The only foot related problem I've had in many, many years was due
to hypothyroidism, this has been treated and no foot problems any more.  Any
farriors out on ridecamp to speak about the benifits of barefooting?
Leigh