Crazy Riders...answer

April adlee@bigfoot.com
Well,

I guess I'm crazy to ride bareback? Hmmm...Anyway. I found that jeans don't work for me. My first 25 miler (of a grand total of TWO, so don't take my word as gospel), I rode in jeans. I was dying by the 7th mile. Took me a week to get the burns healed that developed on my thighs from the jeans after riding bareback at a trot for that long. I don't ride in jeans anymore unless I'm only doing a short ride.

For longer rides (talking training rides) and/or rides with lots of trotting (again conditioning), I wear panty hose under stretchy stirrup pants (mostly cotton). Seems to work so far. I'm still experimenting. Worked very well on my last LD, so I was encouraged.

I have a hip pack for stuff like a map, hoof pick, snack, whatever. I also have a water bottle carrier that goes around my waist. Hip pack on one side, water on the other. The sponge is tied to the waist band of the hip pack and just flops around.

I haven't done 50s bareback (haven't done a 50, period)...and my methods seem to change constantly.

Planning to ride any competition rides bareback? Where are you located?

April & Apache
Chattanooga, TN

PS.  Posted as guest because the e-mail is crazy right now.  :)
>===== Original Message From "Marlana" <lrp@tp.net> =====
>This question is for any crazy rider... that is, any bareback rider. I've
>been riding bareback full time for a yr now, used to only ride that way in
>winter when it's lots warmer letting the horse keep you warm... But now I
>don't have a saddle that fits. And I have all these pretty purple trailbags
>and tack just collecting dust.
>Anyways, the question is, what do y'all ride in? I've been riding in jeans
>or jeans w/ leather chinks and it works fine, but am open to suggestions.
>Especially when it gets real hot in the NewEngland summer. I bought some
>Kerrits riding pants, but them dang things are slippery in and out of a
>saddle! The knee patch is more like a calf-area patch.
>Also, how do you carry water and the essentials like 'lytes and sponge?
>Fanny pack w/ water bottles? CamelBack Mule (basically a backpack &
>watertank in one)? CamelBack Topo (Fannypack designed reservoir w/ pockets)?

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-