start of a ride

I agree w/ Tina, you dont have to start at the front to end at the front.

This is the start of my gelding's 4th season, and he still is a nervous
wreck (that type A personality) at the start.  He starts trembling when I
saddle him.  I warm him up for at least 1/2 hr. hand walking, then
stretching.  We wait until pretty much everyone else has started, then
start at a walk or trot.

By the 1st or 2nd vet ck. he usually has managed to catch up w/ about 1/2
the horses, and nearly always finishes top 10 by the end.

He is maybe a little saner now, but still would not trust him not to loose
his mind if we started in the front.  I admire those who can control thier
horses in the front at the start, but w/ his disposition, I'm happy hanging
in the back.

Anita Carlson
& Pavichy, the ex dressage horse.