vaccinations-tetanus

I also have a question about vaccinations for tetanus. I know very
little about my horse's past (as in who owned him, what type of work
was done with him, etc.), apart from knowing that he was trained
"western", and so I don't know whether he recieved vaccinations at
any time in his life. Certainly he didn't recieve any in the last two
years with the person who owned him right before me. I gave my horse
a tetanus shot last year with no problems, but if he has never had
the vaccine before how do I know that the shot I gave him was
effective? It was just a "booster" shot and not the initial shot(s) a
horse who has never been vaccinated would recieve. I am planning to
check this out with my vet the next time he is here, but I just
wanted to know your opinions about this.
Lysane and Buck