ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Jigging

Re: [endurance] Jigging

Jude Hall (hall@cc.denison.edu)
Fri, 03 May 1996 11:22:52 -0400 (EDT)

Kat in no. Cal & Magnum wrote:

>Lynette brings up a good training tool with circling when your horse is
>not paying attention. I'd like to add my experiences to the pool. I
>tried circling with Magnum horse with mixed results. Once, it worked
>great. More often I thought he was just going to explode into little
>bay fragments and take me with him. He got VERY upset and quit listening
>to me. Almost like a panic attack. Then he continues to try to go
>in the forward direction no matter which way we are facing... he'll
>flip around forward, or scoot backwards really fast and hop up and
>down. It was like eventually he'd learn how to rear.

good ideas snipped....

Kat - I'm was so happy to read your post. Sometimes I
feel like the only person out there who has a horse that
doesn't respond to circling to slow down, etc. My horse
gets very "stiff-necked" if I try that, definitely
doesn't listen to me, will continue forward sideways
(not even paying attention to where the trail is) and
also feels like he will explode into little sorrel
fragments! ;*) An assortment of spins, hops and
bounces - a feeling of being out of control....

I have had success with doing what you mentioned - I
guess since I am not actually *turning* away from the
others, he can handle it and eventually relaxes back
into a walk....

Jude Hall
central Ohio
& Kentucky Redbud (aka the racking racehorse)