ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Nutriceuticals

RE: Nutriceuticals

Patricia Dowling DVM (dowling@sask.usask.ca)
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:24:19 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarded Message:
From: Truman Prevatt <prevatt@lds.loral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:15:16 -0400
Subject: RE: [Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM: Re: Adequan]
To: endurance@moscow.com

I have heard and read in more than one place, that
controlled testing
tracing tagged compounds showed that Flex Free was not
absorbed by the
horses gut and pass right on through - therefore would not
provide any
benefit except to the bank account of the maker. Can any of
our vet
friends shine any light on this?

Truman

I write a column on drug therapy for the Canadian Veterinary
Journal and I've been trying to collect scientific
information on these products. Most of what the companies
give me is ancedotal information - it's a start, but it's
not exactly proof that these things work. Herbivores like
the horse are notorious for breaking down drugs in their
gastrointestinal tract - that's why there's so few oral
antibiotics and other drugs for large animals. That is why
I'm so suspicious that these nutriceuticals are not absorbed
in any useful form. The Cosequin people tell me "our company
currently has a number of studies under way with major
universities." They also say "we strongly support any
initiative to set FDA standards for defining, classifying
and manufacturing nutriceuticals." Right now, anybody can
market any nutriceutical they want - a real buyer beware
market. So I remain skeptical, but open minded. At least
these products seem to do no harm and many of my clients are
happy to spend the money to try to do something for their
animals.

Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS
Diplomat ACVIM, ACVCP
Associate Professor, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan