[RC] out vet checks - Lynn White

I really like out-vet checks and had one set up on the ride that I had to
cancel.  Out vet checks cost $$.  Plain and simple. Ever try hiring a water
truck on a weekend in a remote area?   RM needs extra tanks, and a water truck
that can haul in water OR a pump that can pump water from a source.  It also
takes extra gas, vets, voluteers, pota-potties,an ambulance vehicle, etc.  Out
vet checks just take more planning.   If using public land, there's pemitting
that has to be taken care of. Chances are you have to have someone there the
night before the ride to guard the porta-potties and water tanks from cows and
teens.

I was really excited about the particular out-vet check that we found.  The
location was lovely and the loops out of it were to die for. I had it scoped
out and planned for well ahead of the ride.

The decision I made was that I would have an out-vet check and scrimp on the
awards.  Since most people come for the trail I figured that would not be a
problem.  I had "newbie" awards for first time riders so they would want to
come back.

Riders really need to consider paying higher fees or inexpensive awards if they
want out-vet checks.  Myself, I'm just so thankful that someone puts on the
effort to put on a ride and I can actually get to it that it really doesn't
matter.  A vet once told me he saw riders getting lost on the very same trail
they had ridden on earlier that day.  Perhaps the distance-induced-dementia is
a good thing.

Lynn