RE: [RC] Ride Awards In Reno - Paul

RE: Shepard's crook.

Hi Patty,

I have used a shipyards crook in years past. They are very good for snaring running beasts, but not nearly as good for dragging a sheep with its feet firmly planted from its chosen position. I will assume that an Endurance Rider with his/her feet planted will be even more difficult to dislodge from the podium than sheep from a feed trough. You might be able to use it for the feather weight rider awards, but come time for the middleweight and heavyweight riders, you will have that immovable object problem. Unless you have access to  a 4 wheel drive tractor and a logging chain close to the stage, there may be a problem getting them away from the podium

From my years of dealing with Realtors at meetings, I do have a few ideas to offer that might help you keep things moving.  On the floor at the podium, you might want to put some wire mesh electric fence material. Hook that to any commercial electric fence controller and attach it  to a large truck or boat battery. If the speaker runs overtime, throw the switch. This eliminates the problem of their talk droning on and on until they run out of breath or things to say and finally wind down, down, down. With the HV ( high voltage) method their talk will end on time with a loud and excited "Whoop!!!"  or "Wow!!!"  or " Yikes!!!".  It will add punctuality and enthusiasm to their talk as they end with an exclamation. You might want to have a sound person controlling the microphone volume as some of the "exclamations" when the juice hits may not be fit for family consumption.

For some truly persistent Endurance riders, (and aren't we all?), you may need to keep a fire extinguisher handy as they may keep talking until smoke starts coming up from their feet. ( hint: Blue sparks flying from their hair is not a good sign)

There is always the option of the electric cattle prod, but that could take away from the dignity of the proceeding.

I wish I could be there with you. Give my best to all the Award Winners.  Good luck in your presentations. I hope that I have given you some ideas to help you with that task.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO