Re: [RC] [RC] Sorough Cup photos location - John Teeter

On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:28 AM, D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson wrote:
I was amazed with the pace the riders continued down the course while hydrating their horses.

As you all know, I'm not a horse guy, but I did have the opportunity yesterday to listen to an extended conversation between Steph and Juma Punti, seen here finishing with a bronze at the European Championship,

http://www.enduranceeurope.net/international/2007EuropeanChampionship/ Gallery/Fin09/pages/PECH018.html

He made a few comments (well actually many many comments:) that bear repeating. 1) every # counts when you are moving at the 30km/hr speed. Even the blow-back from pouring water on the horse effects the overall time as does the efficiency of the water hand-off. He also mentioned that he rides differently (both here in the UAE.vs.Europe and when he's going 20km/hr.vs.30km/hr) He sits deeper and a little further back at speed, he's moving the center of gravity back a bit; and the race-track conditions here (in the UAE) allow him to focus on speed rather than any (well not too many:) thoughts of reacting to balance changes b/c of course irregularities.

Racing on these tracks and and these speeds IS a different thing than the endurance I do fur sure. And it's a different sport than most in the world try to do. I'd try a ride here, but I'm afraid that, although there are plenty of people willing to trade me a ride (see http://www.endurance.net/wee/ :) that I would a) be somewhat of an embarrassment to the them (and their horse!) as I'm not used to cantering for that extended period of time and b) I'd be a liability to their horse - see a:(

but it IS a learning experience watching it happen from the inside. These horses are being trained to do the speed. There are 4 endurance tracks in the UAE - they are not trails. They are groomed daily (and they have REALLY nice water trucks - MAN trucks!!!) I'm sitting here in front of the office at Shieka Madiya's barn - She has 15 horses in training. The barn next door has 70 in training. and there are 5 more facilities of similar size within a few miles. There are 100 horses out training at any given time during the day. Grace Ramsey is here helping Madiya. She tells me she has a video of the first endurance race held here (1993 I think she said) - it was 18 miles. The sport here has come a long ways indeed.

the Not.A.Horse.guy

jt
(p.s. a footnote - I hear the track at the Dubai endurance village is being allowed to go back to nature a bit - that the track-like conditions (and raw speed) may not be the "ultimate challenge" forever. Also, as a counterpoint, that the "conditions for this week- end's 120km Dubia World Challenge are conducive to a world record pace. Only the strong survive!!)