[RC] Sanction lists - Beth Walker

This thread is related to Susan Shook's problem of a biting horse at a ride.

To my knowledge, AERC has only the protest mechanism to deal with this type of issue. For many people, and in some situations, that can seem like "too big a hammer", or too likely to cause repercussions for the person bringing the protest.

I would really like to see a mechanism where a person could bring a problem to AERC attention, without the stigma associated with a formal protest -- and yes, I think there is a stigma. In addition, there needs to be a way to insulate the person bringing the issue from repercussions. The protest mechanism doesn't do this. Rider A has to bring a protest against Rider B. It is very direct.

There is the Welfare of the Horse committee, which I believe tries to contact individuals unofficially in education efforts, but I don't think (please correct me if I'm wrong) there is any mechanism for a rider to bring such issues to their attention.

What are your opinions about changing the mechanism so that:

There is an official way of bringing issues to the attention of AERC for investigation, short of a formal protest. The committee does a brief investigation, and education followup, etc. if that seems appropriate. If it seems appropriate, the committee -- not the rider -- has the authority to start formal protest proceedings which can then result in various sanctions.

In addition, I would like to see these investigations / protests / etc. result in an actual "sanction list" or "watch list", available to RMs, Ride Vets and AERC board members only, which would list the person and/or horse, reason for the sanction, and the duration of the sanction.

Comments?