Re: [RC] [RC] Heart Murmur Info Please - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC] Heart Murmur Info Please
I have worked as a vet scribe many times and have seen (and listened to!) several horses with physiological, or, as we say in humans, “functional” murmurs competing just fine. Many human ultra-athletes have benign heart murmurs. If it were my horse, and depending on what the echocardiogram (ultrasound) showed, I might ask for an exercise ECG. Here is a link to a picture from Tufts vet school of a horse on a treadmill!
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/sports/oxygen.html   I’m sure some of our vets will chime in, or maybe Nik, our cardiologist.

Sounds like your vet isn’t too concerned. Hope everything is OK. Please give us some follow up so we can all learn from your experience.

Beverley
Beverley Kane, MD
Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & Therapy
Woodside, CA
650-868-3379
http://www.horsensei.com

The Manual of Medicine and Horsemanship--
Transforming the Doctor-Patient Relationship with Equine-Assisted Learning
http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=49669