[RC] mud and respect - Tx Trigger

I have respect for muddy trails. They can cause more leg injuries than any other type of footing. Not many of us "train" in mud. You can train for sand, you can train for rocks, and you can train for hard packed roads. But not so easy to train for mud on a regular basis, to prep a horse for those conditions.

Some riders will not start a ride that has wet conditions for various reasons. If they don't enjoy riding in the rain, that is their choice. Why be miserable just to say "I rode in that wet nasty weather". It does not make them any more of an endurance rider for it.  We all have priorities of ride conditions we are willing to attend. Be it location, management, loops into camp, or NO loops in to camp. Trail type, and even weather. What is a great ride condition for one, might be on the bottom of the priority list for the other. If a rider needs to feel they have bragging rights for riding in conditions others pass on, and it makes them feel good about themselves, then they can put their own gold star next to their name.

Angie, I respect YOU for choosing to be cautions with your horse, and pass on riding a ride that had the potential for slippery, muddy conditions. I'm guessing your mind set is the same as mine. Skip this ride, to not potentially knock the horse out for the rest of the season. No T-Shirt is worth that to me.  Looking forward to heading about your horses first 50!!!

Jonni