Re: [RC] stable management - Marlene Moss

Anna,

I have a 50+ horse boarding facility, although the main barn with “inside stall” rather than shed rows and large runs has 22 stall with runs and 4 stalls without runs.

The stalls are very open, both side to side and at the front, being made from large welded pipes with wood only on the sides.  And the wood doesn’t come down to the ground, so lots of air flow.  The stalls are odd sized – 14x15 so stall mats would be very expensive as well as difficult.  So dirt covered with shavings and I’m kind of stingy with the shavings (more from a time issue than a cost issue, although they are very expensive).  For the horses that pee regularly inside, I use Sweet PDZ in their mucky spots and we otherwise take the wet shavings and spread it out into the run, for the sun to bleach and to give the horses an alternative soft spot to pee in.

Everyone comments how open and nice smelling our barn is.

For the 4 stalls that we have that do not have runs – they are for foaling and layup – the two layup stalls have mats.  We had 2 horses in them for a long time because their owner didn’t want them getting dinged or playing with other horses.  These are Preifert stalls with solid wood to the ground.  It was awful, way more difficult to clean and the urine smell was much more noticeable, at least inside those stalls.  I’d never stalls horses before and that’s definitely not the way I’d want to do it.  To do it right, you really have to have tight seams on the mats and strip the shavings frequently and regularly.  We clean stalls twice a day (a lot of barns only do it once) and it still wasn’t enough for the more closed stalls.

I’m much happier with our open concept although the halter people would never consider it a suitable show barn!  We never strip stalls and even had to go for almost 2 months w/o shavings because of a supply issue and still didn’t have a smelly barn.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - Saddle Fitting