Re: [RC] re: PC - SandyDSA

In a message dated 2/17/2007 8:34:18 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
As long as we AERC riders continue to feel so
protective of our horses, we will not "win" that kind of race because we
will be too afraid of hurting the horses we consider our friends. I guess it
is up to the individual riders, but it's not something I would ever try,
even if I had the best horse in the country.  It would kill me to hurt my
horse by trying to win a race like that.  To me, and a great many others,
horses are NOT expendable.
Wow - SO true Barbara! This event is NOT AERC endurance and foreign in more ways than one. Sadly, to these countries, their horses ARE expendable as are their people in many cases. You know, even though I am not a "pundit" (WHEW! That sounds like it would HURT!), the years of experience at the track and with their vets is enough for me to know that track racing and flat distance racing have their inherent hazards, and what we see unfolding to me is the worst of the worst. I would really like to see the numbers on the horses who complete these ride - where are they today, and are they sound, productive and content? Anyone know?