[RC] Middle aged horse - Skyla Stewart

First I want to say that  personally "I" don't consider a horse at 10 to be middle aged, sense they are only 3 years past being fully "mature". Of course by 10 some could have been ridden into a more advanced "age" then if they had fewer hard miles. Anyway, my guy went under saddle at 8, started endurance (50's and up) at 11,  this year he will be 15 and should be seeing his AERC 3000 miles. The LAST thing my 15 year old is, is "old", he might be considered middle aged now though. :o)

I have a 26 year old at home that if not for one leg with low ringbone, would love to show everybody's horse out there "how to do it". My stepdaughter took him on a back to back 11 mile trail ride last summer, held in conjunction with an AERC 2 day e-ride. Sounds like she had her hands full on day one and I'm not sure who had more fun. Good thing was she was riding with friends on young horse's wanting to go SLOW. The old guy got to show the youngsters how to get the job done. The other ridecampers that remembered him from the past were shocked at his fire and sass. LOL  I rode with her the next day and that 26 year old horse was heck on wheels, IF HE had been allowed to do things his way it would have been a 45 minute ride, thankfully "I" was there!  :oP  Sheesh...26 years "old" my fanny!  What I found with him is it takes longer to get in reasonable trail shape and he comes out of shape real fast.  I don't ride him much, usually the summer is his main time to get out.

Skyla

Get your own web address.