RE: [RC] Hay to keep warm - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Susan, you suggest feeding extra protein.  Because I have one horse in my herd that founders (mostly because he's grossly overweight), I feed oats.  We do up the oat ration by a scoop a day for warmth.  I've got excellent pasture so nutritionally, the herd is covered.

Would you suggest feeding alfalfa (probably in pellet form; I don't want to dwindle my stock of hay...it's for endurance rides) or should I do a high-protein grain during the cold winter months?  What is high protein?  14%? 25%?  What is too much protein?

Thanks!

Good grief, my hair is turning white as we speak.  If you have a horse that is both prone to founder AND grossly overweight, then he shouldn’t be getting oats or any concentrates whatsoever, regardless of temperature.  NONE, NADA, ZERO.  Although lower in starch than corn or barley, it’s still a high source of starch, and therefore absolutely, completely and totally verboten for your guy.  He shouldn’t so much as see a bag of oats as it’s carried past him for the rest of his life.  Making myself really, really clear here, right?

Totally aside from the starch issue, oats does extremely little to help warm them up during cold weather---it’s high in starch, which is easily digested with very little waste heat to stoke the furnace, and although higher in fiber than other grains, it’s still not even in the ballpark with forage.  Five pounds of alfalfa (which varies in protein usually between 16 – 25%) is going to do a lot more for heat production than virtually any amount of oats---and even that may not be necessary if your pasture is high quality.  If there’s quality pasture available throughout the winter, then it’s not cold enough in your area for temperature to even be an issue.  The only thing any grain is going to do towards maintaining core temperature is by supplying extra calories that will eventually contribute to an extra layer of insulating fat somewhere down the road.

If feeding a concentrate is the best option in a particular situation, and alfalfa for some reason isn’t readily available, then a good choice would be a balanced broodmare pellets, usually somewhere between 16-25% crude protein with soybean meal listed in the first few ingredients on the ingredient label.  But because concentrates, even a high protein concentrate, is still going to be digested much more quickly than a forage-based protein source, its not going to do nearly as good a job as a fermentable, high fiber flake of hay trucking its way slowly through the hindgut.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM