[RC] 25/30 vs 50 - Donna Deyoung

I rode my first 30 miler this past weekend. The other ride I did was a 25 miler where I came in 21st out of 37 (45 including non-finishers).  Middle of the pack. Was aiming to finish, not be turtle. My horse is a 12 yr old Peruvian gelding with one eyeball. I'm 40 something just starting to ride more this year. I've been conditioning steadily since I got the horse in July.

In the 30 miler, I came in a surprising 4th place out of 21. I'm beginning to understand why a 50 might not be that much more difficult... however, I couldn't have ridden a 50 "as fast" as I just did the 30 miles (we did 5.6 mph on the 25 mile ride; ~6.7 mph on the 30 mile ride). The first 20 miles was just learning how my horse was that day - getting confidence. The ride was the Road Warrior and we rode on the edge of paved country roads. I mean the "edge"... Halfway thru the first loop (20 miles) we fell behind the pack. I rode the horse for his pace and the weather (sometimes hot, sometimes a breeze). We caught up to the pack at the vet ck and immed. pulsed down. That allowed us to leave out before anyone else. After the 45 minute break he was like a new horse. The last 10 miles flew by. We saw no one.

After that 30 miles could I have elevated to a 50? no, because I rode my horse for the 30. Not a 50. However, I realize how much slower I could have gone and still finished a slow 50. I think when you're just starting out it's a matter of how long you as a rider can be up there, and how long as a horse does your horse want you up there?  With more conditioning and some longer, slower rides, the 50s I want to do next year should come along okay.

I think it was pretty easy to peak and do well at the 25/30 mile rides. But I think it will take more work/ more horse/ more rider to peak and top ten at the 50s. But I could be wrong. Alot of people don't seem to be conditioning freaks. There are a few who show up w/ great looking/conditioned horses. And more that seem to show up w/ shaggy pasture pets. Some people take better care of their horses after the ride, too, I've noticed. Some are standing around w/ dried sweat not even having been brushed or curried, others have their shiny coats blanketed and their legs wrapped...

My question is, when is it the appropriate time to move a horse up to a slow 50?

Donna

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=