Re: [RC] My recruitment - Mike Lewis

My 3rd cousin, Suzie Anderson, recruited me.  I was just out of college
and Air Force ROTC and had been stationed at Robins AFB near her in early
1997.  I started taking horseback riding lessons from Suzie, as I had
ridden off and on for the first 20-something years of my life.  I rode on
of her quarter horse ponies (Prince, God rest his soul) at Oconee WMA in
February of '98.  I was hooked!  I bought Imperial Nafal in April of that
year.  He was 17, and needed work, then had a major hoof injury that
rotted most of the tissue in his right/front hoof.

I received orders to Cannon AFB, NM later that month.  Shipped Nafal that
summer after he had a chance to recover from major hoof surgery, and
gradually got him in shape by riding per veterinarian's instructions.  I
entered him in a ride in Santa Fe, NM in '99 that shared part of the
national championship qualifying course... had to pull him due to muscle
issues.  Did several rides in NM before getting orders to Korea.  After
Korea, rode him in SE region races as I was again serving at Robins AFB.
He had a fairly successful career for an old guy, including a BC at Far
Out Forest at 22 years old.  He is retired now.

Anyway... I am totally hooked on this sport and want to go as far as I can
with it... unfortunately have work and family issues to deal with, and
then there's always the money issue.  Recently bought a mare who is
capable of getting me out of the LD rut I've been in for 10 years, and
eventually hope to do some international competitions overseas, but not
sure that's possible since I have an employer to deal with and limited
funds.  I will definitely be passing this sport to my children, though, as
it is TOTALLY worthwhile.  Best people I have ever met, best experiences
with horses I have ever had, and totally rewarding... even if I'm not
quite where I want to be in the grand scheme of things.

I will say that the bond I shared with Nafal in particular was amazing.
Even for his advanced age he performed 110% for me and wanted more.  At
the peak of his performance, shortly after I returned from Korea, he knew
everything I wanted him to do--it was almost as though he had ESP.  THAT
kind of bond is why I do this sport.  I can only hope that Molly and I
will develop that kind of tie.

Mike
--- Lynne Glazer <lynne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My college roommate from Idaho recruited me, years later when she'd
been doing LD on her QH-Arab Palomino.  She tended to be the turtle
even then, though she's done 2500 or so of 50s since. I was also
hooked on my first ride, despite heat exhaustion from not knowing I
should be drinking in 105 degree weather, while RIDING. <d'oh>  My
first piece of endurance tack was a simple Griffins water bottle
holder the collapsible one with the rawhide ties (i still use that on
on my bareback pad!)  It was a present from my friend.  My horses
were too old (in 20s) and too young (2), so I went to Idaho to ride
on borrowed (Morris) horses.

Started reading RC very early, and compiled a "Best of Ridecamp"
binder of the "good stuff" in 9 categories, 3" thick, that I loaned
out to my recruits, and sent a copy to Steph and John.  Once my
critter was old enough, I had a few people at my barn who were
enthusiastically training too.  I didn't own a truck or trailer, that
was a limiting factor.  After some frustration with a used truck and
bumper pull, I bought a diesel as a daily use vehicle and have been
driving one ever since, and bought a used 4h gooseneck trailer so
that my friends could come along--it was fun talking about those days
recently at a remodeling/warming party one of them had.  I still have
that trailer, one of the old good Sundowners.

I still have that binder, and the "save as text" source somewhere--
with sections on feeds/feeding, tack, etc. but most important were
the humor and inspiration sections.  That's where Julie Suhr's
stories went, and Angie's of course.  Pam bought me a subscription to
Trail Blazer which had subscription fulfillment troubles even back
then, which is where I read (and saved) Angie's sponge story.

Then of course there were the ride management years, where part of
that was helping new riders be more prepared for my events.  Lots of
phone support and some railing at the general membership meetings at
convention about how we needed to better mentor new riders.  Was part
of the mentor list that Steph started.

I never overtrained, but my mare and I did have our share of injuries
to work through, which delayed our getting there and consistency.
She of course suffered the Great Saddle Hunt (5 saddles) and my
ignorance of long toe low heel (is THAT why she always needed
trimming by 5 weeks?  I though she just grew a lot of foot. <sigh>)

Lynne
dryest SoCal ever

http://www.photo.lynnesite.com

http://www.photo.lynnesite.com