Re: [RC] [RC] an overly amorous gelding - Debbie Kirchner

I had to separate two geldings because they are both so dominant... the one will mount a mare... Or did... when we bought him in July, he did not mix with the herd in the normal 3 weeks of being pastured side by side... so after a couple days fo thought after the huge fight between the geldings, I decided to put my older appy mare in with him... Duke was delighted... Chey was happy.. after a couple days she came into heat, I had never seen her in heat before.. he mounted her... I was not happy, so put her back in with the herd, I called my vet, he said... you can separate them when she comes in, or you can just let them work it out... I separated them for a couple months, then never again, as she quit coming into heat and he quit mounting her...

This horse was so aggresive when we first got him, he would charge the other geldings and Pee  at the same time, I had neve seen anything like that in a long time....

Duke had never been with a mare before.... He is very protective of her.... our mule was in with them the other day... and Duke did not want her, the mule, near his Mare at all... he did not hurt her, just kept them separated from each other... I suspect I will never be able to put him in with my other geldings... but I am not sure what I am going to do, as we have seriously decided to cut back our herd from 6 to 4... and of course Chey the good old Appy mare is one to go...

I have not had my geldings blood tested to see if thier Testosterone is high... that might be a good idea, they are both 14 now... they were both gelded late....as 3 year olds....

Debbie in SE MN

Energy and Weight Loss Too!!!