Re: [RC] [RC] lonely here...kinda spooky/questions / whining/training - Rosalie Marley

On 2/25/06, L gin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    So I am tring to figure out a safe method of tying him, that can be
released, that he can't untie? He unties in about 30 seconds when left
along. I han't locked the knot through the  last loop as I wasn't sure I
could get it out in an emergency. Course, this is in a breakaway
halter....or I could tie and stand by with a knife. Or maybe I need to tie
the  knot on the other side of the  post. Maybe I could use trailer
ties........but I don't want him to be able to break away
easily....sigh.......

Hi Laurie -

Here's something that worked for me... I was tying inside a round pen made of panels and at the juncture of two of the panels I have a 4" wooden post planted in the ground.  I normally tie my trained horses to that wooden post.  I wanted to teach a foal to tie - he plays with everything (normal foal) so I wanted to have the quick release knot where he couldn't reach it, yet I could get to it easily.  I ran the line off the halter behind the post, then took it ~6 feet to the side, where one of the vertical panel supports was and tied my quick release knot to that.  He couldn't reach the knot but I could.

If you like the "blocker rings" you could probably securely tie that anywhere, and then put the lead rope thru that.
(blocker ring at http://www.blockerranch.com/Pages/catalog2.html )

just a couple of ideas...
Rosalie