RE: [RC] LD BC= BULL CRAP - heidi

Go and have fun.Get the completion award and enjoy the trail.Who really cares
about being judged. In all cases to finish should be enough.Did you really go
to win BC or did you go to enjoy the trail/ride and have fun and visit with
friends we only see at these wonderful events?If you think you got what it
takes and your horse really has it too,ride a 50+ and get your
self-recognition!
Matt

I'm really sorry to see the sort of vehemence that is expressed in the
title of this thread.

Matt, what you said above is all well and good.  And indeed, it is what
most of us ride for, no matter what the distance.

That said, the folks who are fighting so hard to NOT award LD BC are
really missing out on an opportunity to educate and to give people a
handle on their readiness to move up.  It is the JUDGING of the BC and
the opportunity that it gives the vet to provide feedback to those
riders who rode the course a bit faster than the others that is by far
the most important aspect of offering LD BC.  One of the WORST choices
AERC ever made was to do away with those nice big one-page BC
forms--the vet could use those to write all sorts of comments about the
horse, and in many cases, for those horses that really ARE ready to move
up but the rider isn't sure, could use BC judging to nudge the rider
into making that choice.  And for the horses that were NOT ready, and
were going too fast, the vets have the opportunity to really crank down
on the rider with their comments.

This is such a great tool that I have a hard time even imagining how
such a provincial mindset has come about in opposition to it.

Bull crap?  No way.

Heidi